The current “not-Romney” frontrunner in the GOP presidential campaign, Rick Santorum, is getting a lot of scrutiny these days. You’d think he wouldn’t want anyone to look into the things he said in the past.
But here’s a little head scratcher from 2008 (From Think Progress):
In a 2008 speech at Ave Maria University, Rick Santorum, a devout Catholic, warned about the dangers of “the NBA” and “rock concerts,” but also said that while Protestants founded America, mainline Protestantism is in such “shambles” that “it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it”:
Santorum: We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. […]
So, the Catholic guy seeking the backing of the evangelical right, says mainline Protestantism is gone from the world of Christianity.
I’m really underestimating the Republicans. I once asked if the worst case scenario was “Will they charge ahead full speed and drive that bus of the cliff and into a river of hungry crocodiles.”
Now it’s more like “Will they charge ahead full speed and drive that bus off the cliff and into a river of hungry crocodiles next to a nuclear plant during an earthquake just as the tsunami wave reaches 50 meters.”
But I’m sure it could get worse. We still have less than eight months to go.
- Santorum Excommunicates 45 Million Christians: Mainline Protestants Are ‘Gone From The World Of Christianity’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Santorum Writes Barack Obama, Millions Of Protestants, Out Of Christianity (buzzfeed.com)
- Rick Santorum Thinks Satan Has Taken Over America (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Chris Hayes Digs Up 2008 Santorum Speech Stating Protestants Are ‘Gone From The World Of Christianity’ (mediaite.com)
- What the Hell is Rick Santorum Thinking? (crooksandliars.com)