This is the most dangerously insane place in the world (via Talking Points Memo):
Kim Jong Un’s uncle was reportedly given one of the most brutal death sentences imaginable last month.
According to NBC News, which cited a report in a Chinese newspaper, Jang Song Thaek and five of his closest aides were stripped of their clothes, tossed in a cage and eaten alive by a pack of 120 hungry dogs. The dogs had reportedly been starved for five days.
Jang was considered to be the young North Korean leader’s second-in-command.
The details of the execution were published in a newspaper that serves as an organ of China’s Communist Party, but NBC could not independently confirm the report.
North Korea is run by crazy people. And it has nuclear weapons. The nukes probably aren’t a threat to North America, but if I were in China, Japan or South Korea, I would be wvarily looking in that direction.
Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how to embed this on a WordPress page, but here’s what you have to know.
You’re sent to a television screen, complete with multiple channels. Flip the channels, and everyone is lip syncing the song. On ESPN, on the History Channel, on “The Price is Right,” in movies. On a Food Channel. There’s even a channel with a young Bob Dylan.
Or you can watch the whole thing on one channel.
It is definitely one of the most amazing things you’re every going to see on the Internet.
- Interactive Bob Dylan Music Video Allows You To Change TV Channels, Watch Every Show Lip-Sync The Song (geekologie.com)
- WATCH IT: Bob Dylan’s ‘New’ Music Video Is Amazing! (khq.com)
- Official Interactive Music Video for ‘Like A Rolling Stone’ by Bob Dylan Featuring People on TV Shows Singing Along (laughingsquid.com)
- This Interactive Music Video For Bob Dylan’s ‘Like A Rolling Stone’ Is Pretty Impressive (businessinsider.com)
- Bob Dylan’s Interactive ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ Video Promo Is Awesomely Surreal (mediabistro.com)
- Bob Dylan’s ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ Interactive Video Mimics TV Surfing (mashable.com)
- Bob Dylan’s Incredible Channel-Surfing Music Video Features Drew Carey, Fake Cable News Show (mediaite.com)
- Bob Dylan Has Released One of the Coolest Music Videos Ever (radioalice.cbslocal.com)
We can’t conceive of the real-life nightmares children face in other parts of the world. These Syrian children were almost blown up. I would have been catatonic. They just see it as another day of surviving.
- What can I say to make you care about Syria? (newstatesman.com)
- Syria children ‘targeted by snipers’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Justine Greening: Syria’s children are in urgent need of our help (standard.co.uk)
- Syria children ‘targeted by snipers’ (thedailystar.net)
- Syria war ‘damaging a generation of children’: UN (sbs.com.au)
Fifty years ago today, I saw this live on television:
I think about it today and realize this was the first time I saw what today would be immediately identified as a terrorist being led to jail by police. And it was the first time I witnessed a murder.
Years pass, and you read things that say that when the Dallas police charged Lee Harvey Oswald with the murder of the president, they said it was because of a communist plot to overthrow the government. That was noted on a PBS “Frontline” report on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy:
NARRATOR: Less than one hour after the President was pronounced dead, police had arrested a suspect. Lee Harvey Oswald was a 24-year-old former Marine who had once defected to the Soviet Union. Only weeks earlier he had visited the Soviet and Cuban embassies.
JAMES P. HOSTY, FBI: The original complaint that the police department filed on Lee Oswald, around midnight on the 22nd of November, said that Lee Oswald did, “in furtherance of an international communist conspiracy, assassinate President John F. Kennedy.”
NARRATOR: That night, as Air Force One brought John Kennedy’s body home to Washington, the new president was afraid that Oswald’s apparent communist connections could spark an international crisis. President Johnson ordered the district attorney to drop any reference to a communist conspiracy.
Pres. LYNDON BAINES JOHNSON: This is a sad time for all people.
Mr. HOSTY: Johnson was fearful that if this had gotten out, it would inflame public opinion and could possibly lead to World War III. This is exactly how World War I began, with an assassination.
This fear of World War III does make sense. The Cuban Missile Crisis was just a year earlier. In October 1962, people were convinced there was going to be a nuclear war. America’s right wing, led by members of the the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, wanted to invade Cuba.
The other thing that strikes me about the day is how totally incompetent the Dallas police were. Here’s a longer TV feed of the Oswald shooting.
No one checks ID. No one keeps people away from the transfer of the most hated man in America. And when he’s shot, the police just let reporters walk into the crime scene. It looks like anyone could walk in. Strike that. Jack Ruby, a strip club owner with mob connections and a gun did walk in and killed Oswald.
There was a “Prairie Home Companion” on recently broadcast from Dallas. One of the jokes was something along the lines of: “Here in Dallas, gun control is when you hold a gun real steady before you fire.”
In Dallas in 2013, that got a huge laugh. But all I could think when I heard the line was that in Dallas in 1963, a president was murdered. And in Dallas in 1963, the murderer of a president was murdered on national television.
Dallas was out of control.
- Jack Ruby kills Lee Harvey Oswald – History.com This Day in History – 11/24/1963 (worldhistoryreview.org)
Pew took a poll asking people if they remember where they were when certain major historical events happened. The requirement for memory was the person had to be eight or older when it happened.
I wasn’t around for Pearl Harbor, but I remember the nine other events. The ones with the higher percentages are the ones I remember the most. (Via the International Business Times.)
It was 50 years ago today. This is how America found out about it from CBS:
And here’s what we saw on NBC:
Meanwhile, here are two hours on ABC.
I’ve seen the Cronkite clip before. NBC and ABC are new to me. I was in school at the time. Third grade. Someone talked to our teacher, then she said, “The president has been shot.” The girl in front of me asked: “Is he dead?”
No answer. We were sent home. It was a Friday. Just like it is today. I was eight years old, and I still remember that day and the days that followed.
- How to Watch The Kennedy Assassination Coverage as It Happened (theatlantic.com)
- 50 years ago today (steveprestegard.com)
One thing you might not have noticed last week on the night the Democrats in Congress saved the country from going into default was this:
Amid all the chaos of the last-minute deal in Washington, there was an unusual moment on the House floor moments after the bill passed.
A House stenographer and well-known employee calmly took to a microphone and began screaming.
“Do not be deceived. God shall not be mocked. A House divided cannot stand,” she said, according to a House GOP aide. After a few seconds, she was escorted out by the Sergeant-at-Arms, but an audio recording by Todd Zwillich of Public Radio International captured the rest of her rant.
“He will not be mocked, He will not be mocked, (don’t touch me) He will not be mocked. The greatest deception here, is that this is not one nation under God. It never was. Had it been… it would not have been… No. it would not have been… the Constitution would not have been written by Free Masons… and go against God. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot serve two masters. Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ.”
House members and aides were surprised and unsettled by the scene.
“I don’t know, she just snapped,” said a GOP aide.
She was dragged away. But we all know if she had been a Republican elected from a Tea Party district, she’d still be speaking.
She wasn’t the only crazy person there. The vote to end the government shutdown and prevent a default was 285 to 144.
Voting yes to end the shutdown and prevent a default were 198 Democrats and 87 Republicans.
Voting no were 0 Democrats and 144 Republicans.
A vast majority of Republicans voted to keep the government closed and to default on America’s debt. A default would have had a catastrophic impact on the world economy and America’s economic security. We would have faced a market collapse leading to an economic recession and higher unemployment. That’s what the GOP wanted.
But only one crazy person was escorted from the House floor.
- CRAZY: House Stenographer Yanked From Chamber Ranting About Freemasons… (abcnews.go.com)
- House stenographer unleashes bizarre outburst (nydailynews.com)
- VIDEO: House worker yells during vote, escorted away (amarillo.com)
- ‘He Will Not Be Mocked!’: House Stenographer Goes Crazy During Vote, Starts Screaming Congress Not Serving God, Escorted Out (patdollard.com)
- WATCH: Stenographer Snaps, Rants on House Floor (5newsonline.com)
- Stenographer snaps, is restrained after rant on House floor (kdvr.com)
- Stenographer Dragged Off House Floor During Vote (theatlanticwire.com)
When the powers that be say the federal deficit is the most important economic issue of our time, keep this in mind:
- Sean McElwee: 4 Right-Wing Talking Points Demolished By Charts (huffingtonpost.com)
- Confused About The Deficit? This 2-Minute Video Can Help (huffingtonpost.com)
- A New Poll Shows Americans Don’t Actually Understand Anything About The Deficit (businessinsider.com)
- Boehner to GOP: Grand Bargain in the Works (nationalreview.com)
- Fix the Debt ad urges Congress to stop “jerking our country around” (denverpost.com)
Just when you thought gun fanatics couldn’t get any crazier (from Newtown Patch):
Newtown’s First Selectman has responded to reports that gun rights organizations are planning to use Dec. 14, 2013 as a day of support for guns.
Three gun rights organizations — the Second Amendment Foundation, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and DefendGunRights.com — announced Thursday they would sponsor the day on the anniversary of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
First Selectman Pat Llodra says she respects their opinions, but asks the organizations not to use Newtown to host rallies.
“For this group to use our Sandy Hook tragedy as a springboard for political action is disrespectful to our community of Newtown and is of particularly insensitive timing,” said Llodra in a statement released Friday.
The Daily News in New York has the right response:
- Gun-Rights Group Wants to Make Sandy Hook Anniversary ‘Guns Save Lives Day’ (crooksandliars.com)
- Gun Groups Proclaim Sandy Hook Anniversary “Guns Save Lives Day” (connecticut.cbslocal.com)
- Gun rights groups plan event on Newtown massacre anniversary (komonews.com)
- Gun Groups Sponsor ‘Guns Save Lives Day’ On One-Year Anniversary Of Newtown Shooting (thinkprogress.org)