Can anyone figure out how the GOP thinks it’s going to win the 2012 presidential race by insulting every group in America that isn’t white, Christian and male?
Already in the Republican debates, we’ve heard them rail against:
— Gays for trying to marry or openly serve in the armed forces;
— Hispanics for crossing the border.
— Women for seeking abortions or for claiming sexual harassment.
— Muslims for existing.
While Herman Cain was in the race, they said little about blacks. But their true colors are starting to show (for lack of a better term) with the Black Walnut gone.
Here’s the Serial Adulterer speaking at a town Hall meeting in New Hampshire (from TPM):
“I will go to the NAACP convention, and explain to the African-American community why they should demand paychecks instead of food stamps,” said (Newt) Gingrich.
And here’s former senator Man-on-Dog speaking at a rally before the Iowa caucuses:
Now, Santorum is frothing about how he didn’t say “black.” But really, what did you hear, and what do you think his 99% white audience heard (I see the black guy behind him. That’s a television sound guy), and what do you think the part of America that isn’t hearing-impaired heard?
Maybe it’s part of the GOP’s political calculus. The black vote has gone to the Democrats at a rate of well over 80% ever since Lyndon Johnson signed the 1964 civil-rights act.
Obama got 96 percent of the black vote in 2008. But here’s the thing, Obama term has been an economic disaster for black people. He will still get more than 90% of the black vote in November. But even with a half-minute of thought, you realize a disheartened electorate means a lower turnout, which means fewer actual votes.
Newt and Rick are just pissing people off, and pissed off is always a better motivator than disheartened.
I guess the GOP front-runners have decided there’s no way they’re going to get the votes of Muslims, or blacks, or feminists, or gays, or Hispanics, or Asians (Mitt pissed them off this week) or any non-white person of foreign extraction. So they’re going flat out for a specific constituency that claim to be “true Americans.”
But do they really think that come election day, all of these other groups are just going to stay home after everything the GOP has said and done this election season to alienate, agitate and motivate everybody except “the base?”
The election is 11 months away. That’s plenty of time to piss off a lot more people.
- Krystal Ball: Rick Perry’s Anti-Gay Ad ‘Smacks Of Desperation’, ‘Race-baiting’ (mediaite.com)
- Newt Gingrich: ‘I will tell black people to demand paychecks instead of food stamps’ (thegrio.com)
- Santorum’s Racist Welfare Rant: ‘I Don’t Want To Make Black People’s Lives Better’ With Taxpayer Money (thinkprogress.org)
- Rick Santorum To John King: I Didn’t Say Black People, I Said ‘Blah’ People (mediaite.com)
- Rick Santorum Denies Making ‘Black People’ Remarks, Claims To Be ‘Bigger Player’ In 2012 Primary Race (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Rick Santorum Denies Making ‘Black People’ Remarks, Claims To Be ‘Bigger Player’ In 2012 Primary Race (huffingtonpost.com)