The message in the following photo is a lie:
This is what happened:
According to “Muppets” fan site ToughPigs.com, The Jim Henson Company had partnered with Chick-Fil-A to feature Jim Henson’s Creature Shop toys — “essentially a plastic tube with cut-out features for customizing your own puppet” — in their kid’s meals from mid-July until August 18th.
“The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors. Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD. (http://www.glaad.org/)”
So, since the Muppets called Chick-Fil-A out because of its bigoted CEO, the company responds with a blatant lie saying it’s pulled its Muppet toys because they’re unsafe. Seems like Henson Co. has grounds for a libel suit.
John Stewart captures the issue (before the toy safety lie) here.
- Muppet Interruptus: Jim Henson Company Yanks Its Toys From Chick-Fil-A Kids’ Meals (newsbusters.org)
- The Muppets Cut Ties with Chick-Fil-A Over Anti-Gay Policies (towleroad.com)
- Muppets Abandon Chick-fil-A Because Of Its Anti-Gay Policies (thinkprogress.org)
- Muppets dump fast food chain to support gay marriage (vancouversun.com)
- Jim Henson Company Ends Chick-fil-A Partnership, Gives Money To GLAAD (lezgetreal.com)