I think bolt cutters (on the ring, of course) would have been more effective:
A federal prison guard has been charged with shooting his own finger in a drunken attempt to remove his wedding ring during an argument with his wife at their northwestern Pennsylvania home, police said.
A criminal complaint said Bradford police were called just before 9 p.m. March 2 and were met by Alfredo Malespini III, 31, who told officers he was “trying to get rid of his wedding ring” and decided to “shoot it off.” The Bradford Era first reported the shooting on Friday.
The gunshot badly mangled Malespini’s finger, but didn’t remove the ring, police said.
- Cops: Pa. guard shot finger trying to remove ring (pottsmerc.com)
- Cops: Pa. guard shot finger trying to remove ring (sfgate.com)
- Police: Prison Guard Shoots Finger In Attempt To Remove Wedding Ring (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Prison guard drunkenly shot finger in attempt to remove wedding ring (kdvr.com)
- Man shoots finger trying to remove ring (newsnet5.com)