The latest polling figures out of Kentucky:
A new Public Policy Polling survey of Kentucky finds Mitch McConnell and Alison Lundergan Grimes tied in a hypothetical match up at 45%. McConnell’s early positive advertising has done nothing to improve his prospects for reelection and in fact this is the actually the weakest position PPP has found him in yet. In April we found him leading Grimes by 4 points and in December he had a 7 point advantage over her.Key findings from the survey include:-McConnell continues to be unpopular with 44% of voters approving of him to 47% who disapprove. His numbers are even worse with independents, only 41% of whom think he’s doing a good job while 53% give him poor marks. Grimes, on the other hand, has a positive 34/24 favorability rating.-There are strong indications within the poll results that McConnell’s record on key issues will give him trouble getting reelected. 50% of voters say they’re less likely to cast their ballots for him because of his support for cuts to Social Security and Medicare, compared to only 23% who consider that a positive. And 48% say McConnell’s opposition to increasing the minimum wage makes them less likely to vote for him, whilejust 27% say more likely.
I’d like to say this is encouraging, but …
Kentuckians elected Rand Paul to the Senate. Here the map of his 2010 race.
Once you set the bar that low, it doesn’t take much for a Republican to clear it. All McConnell has to say is “Kenyan usurper,” and he’ll lock up 47% of the vote at the start, not matter how much people in the state hate him.
And McConnell knows how to fight dirty. That’s worth another 5 percentage points right there. This poll seems very dubious.
- Kentucky Senate Poll Shows Mitch McConnell Tied With Alison Lundergan Grimes – Huffington Post (huffingtonpost.com)
- Pressure Mounts On Kentucky’s ‘Reluctant’ Potential Senate Candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes (abcnews.go.com)
- No, it’s not a push poll (washingtonpost.com)
- Kentucky Democrats: Hey, Doesn’t Anyone Want to Run Against Mitch? (nationalreview.com)
- Democrat Tied With Mitch McConnell As Kentucky Voters Sour On Obstructionist Turtle (politicususa.com)
- Will Alison Lundergan Grimes Break Her Pledge to Voters? (nationalreview.com)
- Why Mitch McConnell Isn’t as Doomed as This Poll Would Have You Believe (theatlanticwire.com)