Is there a better way to cap off a great year for the University of Louisville sports program?
The Cardinals basketball team meets the president. They have a ceremony where politicians from both sides of the aisle are actually civil to one another. Obama gives a pretty good recap of the NCAA tournament, and Rick Pitino gives a speech praising the city and school he’s adopted.
All that’s missing?
The first lady …
And Russ Smith. Where is he anyway? (From NBC Sports):
Russdiculous is going international.
A preseason All-American and the leading scorer for the reigning national champs, Russ Smith has been named a member of the East Coast All-Stars, a 12-man team that left for Estonia to play in a tournament called the Four Nations Cup. …
He also won’t be in attendance as the Cardinals make a trip to the White House on Tuesday, which is actually a national tragedy: We won’t get a chance to see what happens when Russ Smith meets President Obama.
That would be a sight. Well, there’s always next year.
- The Louisville Cardinals Celebrate Their NCAA Championship Win at the White House (whitehouse.gov)
- Obama congratulates Louisville for bracket bust (timesleader.com)
- Louisville Cardinals Men’s Basketball Team Receives Championship Rings (bleacherreport.com)
- Obama honors NCAA champion Louisville Cardinals (politico.com)
- Russ Smith Is At It Again (slamonline.com)
- Obama lauds Louisville in White House visit (espn.go.com)
- Hail to the chief and the Cards (brobrubel.wordpress.com)