Karmel Allison could feel the sun beating down on her. She is pregnant, and she was worried about having to use the restroom while she was standing behind President Barack Obama during his speech Monday morning on the Affordable Care Act. So she didn’t drink much water before the speech.
But suddenly, she felt dehydrated. She began seeing stars. And next thing she knew…
“I was being caught by the President of the United States,” she said in a phone interview with Business Insider Monday afternoon.
In this instance, the woman is pregnant and diabetic. She was so worried about having to go to the bathroom that she dehydrated herself and almost passed out. (Actually, she was pretty out of it for a long time if you saw the whole video.) Probably shouldn’t have been standing around to begin with in her condition, but you can’t fault her for wanting the opportunity to meet the president.
It appears that President Obama has had lots of experience with fainting people.
Not to mention this from New Hampshire:
This happens all the time:
Nevertheless, right-wing conspiracy theorists were quick to claim that the incident was staged. YouTube videos of the speech are full of criticisms of President Obama, with almost every single comment showing some variation of, “This was staged!”
Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ website Infowars similarly went into a frenzy attempting to find evidence that the “Fainting Woman” incident was staged. One user claimed, “He used to fake these fainters and ask somebody to get them water. O has staged these fainters several times in the past.” Others pointed out that she was “looking toward the teleprompter” and that the people around her seem to be “in on it.” The phrase “I gotcha,” was said by several to be a manipulative line thrown to the American people to make them feel good about the Affordable Care Act.
Almost no one acknowledged that Karmel Allison was actually ill. Those who did unanimously decided that she was obviously drunk or high (because everyone knows, of course, that sick people always deserve it and somehow did it to themselves). These complaints included the accusation that Ms. Allison “may be one of Obama’s transgender o-bots.” (I’m not even going to try to figure out what that means.)
- Obama catches fainting woman during Obamacare rally (bangordailynews.com)
- VIDEO: Obama catches fainting woman (bbc.co.uk)
- Obama Catches Fainting Woman During Obamacare Speech (mediaite.com)
- President Obama Steadies Pregnant Woman About to Faint, Then Jokes About it–Watch the Clip! (eonline.com)
- Conservatives Say Obama Staged Fainting Woman (addictinginfo.org)
- Meet Karmel Allison, The Woman Who Fainted Behind President Obama Today (businessinsider.com)
- Obama aids fainting woman during healthcare speech (upi.com)
- Barack Obama catches fainting pregnant woman during speech (telegraph.co.uk)