One thing you might not have noticed last week on the night the Democrats in Congress saved the country from going into default was this:
Amid all the chaos of the last-minute deal in Washington, there was an unusual moment on the House floor moments after the bill passed.
A House stenographer and well-known employee calmly took to a microphone and began screaming.
“Do not be deceived. God shall not be mocked. A House divided cannot stand,” she said, according to a House GOP aide. After a few seconds, she was escorted out by the Sergeant-at-Arms, but an audio recording by Todd Zwillich of Public Radio International captured the rest of her rant.
“He will not be mocked, He will not be mocked, (don’t touch me) He will not be mocked. The greatest deception here, is that this is not one nation under God. It never was. Had it been… it would not have been… No. it would not have been… the Constitution would not have been written by Free Masons… and go against God. You cannot serve two masters. You cannot serve two masters. Praise be to God, Lord Jesus Christ.”
House members and aides were surprised and unsettled by the scene.
“I don’t know, she just snapped,” said a GOP aide.
She was dragged away. But we all know if she had been a Republican elected from a Tea Party district, she’d still be speaking.
She wasn’t the only crazy person there. The vote to end the government shutdown and prevent a default was 285 to 144.
Voting yes to end the shutdown and prevent a default were 198 Democrats and 87 Republicans.
Voting no were 0 Democrats and 144 Republicans.
A vast majority of Republicans voted to keep the government closed and to default on America’s debt. A default would have had a catastrophic impact on the world economy and America’s economic security. We would have faced a market collapse leading to an economic recession and higher unemployment. That’s what the GOP wanted.
But only one crazy person was escorted from the House floor.
- CRAZY: House Stenographer Yanked From Chamber Ranting About Freemasons… (abcnews.go.com)
- House stenographer unleashes bizarre outburst (nydailynews.com)
- VIDEO: House worker yells during vote, escorted away (amarillo.com)
- ‘He Will Not Be Mocked!’: House Stenographer Goes Crazy During Vote, Starts Screaming Congress Not Serving God, Escorted Out (patdollard.com)
- WATCH: Stenographer Snaps, Rants on House Floor (5newsonline.com)
- Stenographer snaps, is restrained after rant on House floor (kdvr.com)
- Stenographer Dragged Off House Floor During Vote (theatlanticwire.com)