The above spread sheet contains the latest numbers from the presidential election. If you look at Row F, you see that the U.S. total for Mitt Romney was 47.49%. That rounds off to 47%. And you know what that means:
If I may:
There are 47% of the people who would vote for Mitt Romney no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him … who believe they are victims. Obama’s job is not to worry about those people. He’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for the lives of their fellow man.
But Obama says he’s the president of all Americans. So here are a few things the true 47% are going to have to deal with (from The Nation via Crooks and Liars):
1. Barack Obama has won an overwhelming majority in the Electoral College, a daunting majority of the popular vote and a majority of the nation’s states—including most of the country’s largest states and states in every major region of the republic: New England, the mid-Atlantic, the Great Lakes, the South, the Southwest, the Mountain West and the West.
2. Barack Obama has won more popular votes than any Democratic candidate for president in history—except Barack Obama in 2008.
3. Barack Obama is the first Democratic president to win more than 50 percent of the popular vote in a re-election run since Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1944.
4. Barack Obama is the only Democratic candidate for president since FDR to twice win more than 50 percent of the national vote.
5. Barack Obama has, in both of his presidential runs, won a higher percentage of the national vote than any Democratic nominee since Lyndon Johnson in his 1964 landslide victory.
When George Bush the Dumber won the 2004 election by a narrower margin than Obama (48% voted against him) he said he had a mandate. The Republicans agreed.
By the GOP definition, Obama has a broader mandate.
So as Joe Biden says:
If they get out of the way. If they get out of the way and let us pass the tax cut for the middle class and make it permanent. If they get out of the way and pass the jobs bill. If they get out of the way and allow us to let 14 million people who are struggling to stay in their homes because their mortgage is upside down when they never missed a mortgage payment. Just get out of the way.