Here’s how out of it I am. I didn’t know Glenda Jackson had quit acting! Well, I knew I hadn’t seen her in a movie in years, but just the thought that a two time Academy Award winner for Best Actress (“Women in Love,” 1971; “A Touch of Class,” 1973) is totally out of the business astounds me.
Even worse, I didn’t know she’s been a Minister of Parliament in the U.K. for 20 years!
And then I find out she went of the floor of Parliament and did a savage rhetorical autopsy on Margaret Thatcher when everyone else was eulogizing the former PM.
Here’s the speech:
Wow! Jackson left a lot of sputtering Conservatives in her wake!
- Bonnie Greer: Glenda and Maggie: They Don’t Make ‘Em Like That Anymore (huffingtonpost.co.uk)
- Glenda Jackson Literally Rips Into Margaret Thatcher’s Mouldering Corpse During Parliament Memorial (wonkette.com)
- Glenda Jackson: She Spoke for Me!! (think-left.org)
- Glenda Jackson on the death of Margaret Thatcher: I spoke to stop history being re-written (independent.co.uk)
- Margaret Thatcher was ‘not a woman on my terms’, claims Labour MP Glenda Jackson in bitter attack on former Premier’s memory (dailymail.co.uk)
- Video: Glenda Jackson savages Thatcher (newstatesman.com)