The National Rifle Association had its convention in Houston last week. I originally didn’t bother to find out anything about it because I already know what the message is. Nothing in the U.S. Constitution matters other than my right to have any kind of killing machine with a firing pin that I want.
But, I thought I’d take a look at the speakers lineup:
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
Former Gov. Sarah Palin (R-Alaska)
Former Rep. Asa Hutchinson (R-Arkansas)
Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton (R)
Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas)
Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pennsylvania)
Gov. Bobby Jindl (R-Louisiana)
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisconsin)
Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisconsin)
So, the NRA meeting was really the Republican National Convention. And let’s stop pretending that the NRA is a bipartisan group. It’s the militia arm of the GOP.
And while we’re at it, this is not amusing (from Jonathan Capehart at the Washington Post):
The 31-year-old former Marine and radio talk show host wants to lead armed demonstrators on a march across Memorial Bridge from Arlington National Cemetery around the Capitol, Supreme Court and the White House. Kokesh is calling on the thousands he hopes will join him (as of this writing, the count stands at 2,673) to march “with rifles loaded & slung across our backs to put the government on notice that we will not be intimidated & cower in submission to tyranny.” …
While Kokesh insists that violence isn’t the protest’s aim, the threat of it lurks on his blog.
“This will be a non-violent event, unless the government chooses to make it violent. Should we meet physical resistance, we will peacefully turn back, having shown that free people are not welcome in Washington, & returning with the resolve that the politicians, bureaucrats, & enforcers of the federal government will not be welcome in the land of the free.”
We already know these domestic terrorists have a death fetish. They see nothing wrong with shooting up theaters and churches and schools, because the right of a psychopath to have a gun outweighs my right not to be shot by a psychopath with a gun.
I just plan to be somewhere else when this circus comes to town.
- ‘Stand and Fight’: Scenes from the NRA’s Annual Meeting (nation.time.com)
- WATCH: Ted Cruz Hits Back At Harry Reid ‘Bully’ Remarks (huffingtonpost.com)
- Republicans Pay Tribute to NRA Clout (politicalwire.com)
- Armed march on Washington D.C. announced for July 4th: Is Adam Kokesh crazy, or courageous? (earththreats.com)
- Nothing Good Can Come Of This – Kokesh Proposed Armed March On DC (youviewed.com)
- D.C. Police Chief: We Will Arrest Adam Kokesh and Open Carry Protesters (countdowntozerotime.org)
- D.C. Police Chief: We Will Arrest Adam Kokesh and Open Carry Protesters (thedailysheeple.com)
- GOP and NRA: a love fest (rss.cnn.com)