There are times when I realize I can’t keep up with all of the crazy Obama conspiracy theories. Like, it just occurred to me, “What was all that talk about ‘free Obama phones’ all about?”
It sounded idiotic and obviously was another diversion from the election, so I didn’t think about looking into it. But people on the right are still talking about the free Obama phones.
So, here we go, debunking another myth:
Since 2009, there has been an urban myth that Obama created a program to provide free phones to low-income Americans at taxpayer expense. There is, in fact, a government program that will provide low-income people with a free or low cost cell phone. It was started in 2008 under George W. Bush.
The idea of providing low-income individuals with subsidized phone service was originated in the Reagan administration following the break-up of AT&T in 1984. (It was expanded and formalized by the Telecommunications Act of 1996.) The program is paid for by telecommunications companies through an independent non-profit, not through tax revenue.
Republicans need to stop being the stupid party.
- The Truth About The Obama Phone… (lunaticoutpost.com)
- The Truth About The Obama Phone (thinkprogress.org)
- The Myth Of The Obama Phone (alan.com)
- Fox & Friends & Steven Crowder Advance Free “Obama Phone” Hoax (newshounds.us)
- Esquire:Obama Phones and the Desperation of a Sideshow Right (esquire.com)