The Republican House has hit a new low:
Republicans muscled a pared-back agriculture bill through the House on Thursday, stripping out the food stamp program to satisfy recalcitrant conservatives but losing what little Democratic support the bill had when it failed last month. It was the first time food stamps had not been a part of the farm bill since 1973. …
The food stamp program, formally called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, was 80 percent of the original bill’s cost, and it remains the centerpiece of the Senate’s bipartisan farm bill. …
Representative Frank D. Lucas, Republican of Oklahoma, the chairman of the House Agriculture Committee, said he would try to draft a separate food stamp bill “as soon as I can achieve a consensus.” But conservatives remain determined to extract deep cuts to the program — cuts that members of both parties in the House and Senate have said they cannot support.
This means no food stamps until the Republicans get their act together. And that’s been impossible.
People are going hungry in America. The poverty rate is rising because the GOP is doing everything in its power to undermine every social program promoted by President Obama.
Republicans want you to believe that food stamps are being abused by minorities. But the vast majority of people on food stamps are white. And they aren’t in the big cities. They’re in rural America, places that are Republican strongholds.
This was in The Washington Post this week:
Here, in the rural hills of Tennessee, is the latest fallout of a recession that officially ended in 2009 but remains without end for so many. More than 1 in 4 children now depend on government food assistance, a record level of need that has increased the federal budget and changed the nature of childhood for the nation’s poor.
You really have to read the full story (here) to fully understand the impact of today’s action by John Boehner and his minions. Poor people are going hungry. Things are getting worse. And the party that wants to give bigger tax cuts to the rich has just taken food out of the mouths of children.
Why this political party exists … why poor whites throughout America blindly follow the GOP when all it wants to do is destroy them … is beyond comprehension.
- House Republicans finally pass a farm bill – with no money for food stamps (washingtonpost.com)
- Removing food stamps from farm bill riles Democrats from St. Louis region (stltoday.com)
- Republicans drop food stamps from farm bill (news.yahoo.com)
- Gohmert repeatedly shouts ‘Objection!’ to silence claims food stamp cuts hurt hungry families (rawstory.com)
- Food Stamp Farm Bill Is Approved Without Food Stamps (independentsentinel.com)
- House GOP Drops Food Stamp Cuts From Farm Bill (npr.org)
- House GOP Drunk Again, Spending All Your Food Stamps On Lottery Tickets, Corporate Farms (wonkette.com)